Before- builder's basic:
A little something goes a long way. It ties my kitchen into our family room perfectly. With an open floor plan this was key.
Now for decorating these bookshelves. Oh how I struggled with this. I think I have changed them around every week for the past year we have lived here. :) We are always in this room and I "study" it far too much!
Anyways I remembered a "Design Article of Faith" that I learned in college and it applied here.
It is called repetition with variation.
- It is when you use something and repeat it though out the design while varying it slightly.
- It creates interest and unifies the design.
- For instance I used black frames in different shapes and formats and repeated them throughout.
I am much more pleased with how it looks with using this design principle or "Design article of Faith" as my professor called it. The past year I had cute stuff in it but it didn't feel unified at all. Now I can have a peace of mind when I look at it. :)
And of course this was all done on the cheap!! This is Savvy Chic Home you know.
- The frames were $3 at Wal-mart.
- Antiques were mostly presents or Goodwill.
- The books I already had.
- And if you are a regular reader you know that I got the mirror on CL for $10.
The official first day of fall is Wed Sept 22nd (it started on the 11th here ;). So the next post is all about fall decor and how to make these fabulous pumpkins, cause you know fall just can't wait.